Rice Cooker Cake Recipe

Those of you who follow me on twitter would have noticed my attempt to bake a cake in my rice cooker yesterday evening XD
I’m pleased to let you guys know that it works and by popular demand, i am here to share the recipe and instructions!
cake06
Ok this photo isnt exactly the best looking XD

The inside..
cake09

When it first came out of the oven..rice cooker
cake05
Ingredients :
4 eggs [About 200g]
Sugar 200g
Flour 170g [Sifted!!]
Oil 50g
Green tea powder – optional

Directions
1. Using a whisk [or electric mixer], whisk the eggs and sugar together till its creamy
2. Fold flour into mix and also add oil
3. Pour into rice cooker [no need to grease since they are nonstick!] Press Start*.
4. Once the rice cooker is done, unmold using a spatula, decorate as required.

*Note: my zojirushi rice cooker has a “cake” function but if you dont have that on yours, i think you just press cook and that’ll be fine too. If the cake isnt done when the timer goes off, just press cook again [for those of you with small rice cookers or those of you without the cake function on your rice cooker]

Its a really easy recipe and quite fool proof! I hope you try it out!
cake07
Do let me know how yours turns out??
Edit: Cos everyone is asking, i drizzled it with white chocolate and jam. This is because i didnt add the full amount of sugar as stated in the recipe so it wasnt very sweet at all XD

UPDATE:
Cake baked by Miss Feli
Cake by StarsthatShine
if you baked a rice cooker cake, leave a comment with the pic and i will update this post with it!

Sorry to everyone who is here for travel.beauty.or something else pics XD
Usually i would write a random mish mash sorta post that includes everything but this is sorta an unplanned blog post so do bear with me.

I’ll bring you guys a proper beauty post on Monday!!
It will have swatches, eotd..etc! Here’s a sneak peek of my FOTD XD
me1
Till then, i wish everyone a great weekend!
XOXO
Yumeko

P.s i am currently lusting after the Liberty of London for Target range. But the website seems to be all sold out on the bags. Can anyone tell me if this is true for the stores as well so that i give up and just look on ebay XD

p.p.s Welcome to new followers and readers! Say hi! Or drop me an email! I reply to all comments and emails [except i am horribly slow on emails. Sorry!] I appreciate all comments ^^

p.p.p.s and for those asking, my twitter nick is bittenbefore [u can see links to my twitter and facebook on left column of this blog] Do let me know who you are if you try to add me cos i might reject the request by mistake. XD

This entry was posted in food and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Rice Cooker Cake Recipe

1. Babybubblz says:

if i ever need to get a new rice cooker i’m getting one with a cake function! that’s quite convenient. thanks so much for sharing!

2. Anastacia says:

you are ladies always makes my mouth wet! every time I read twitter updates there is a lot of talk about yummy food! and here we go… you did a great job! baking is so hard deal kindda! looks very yummy!

I need to try this once I buy a new rice cooker! I wonder if it will work with other flavours? I want to try chocolate (I know you don’t like it though, haha).

LOVE the purple FOTD. Lately I am in love with my Crush Glow palette (I’m into peaches and bronzes apparently)?

Your hair is so light now!!

Also are you wearing falsies in your FOTD? Or are you still using the Flamingo mascara? I haven’t seen another review since yours XD

I can’t wait to try this. I never know we can bake a cake from the rice cooker.

5. Diane says:

Ermmmmmmmmm, yum?! hahaha! what syrup did you end up putting on your cake?!

white chocolate and jam! heh i was trying to be smart and put less sugar in the cake so it wasnt very sweet

6. Jimin says:

wow this is new, i’ve never heard of making cake in a rice cooker! i have a decently big on i might try it soon 🙂 sooooo hungry….

your fotd is so pretty! show your whole face next time pleaseeee 🙂

<3jimin

7. wuzzyangel says:

Mmmm….. It turned out soo soft and spongy looking! YUMM!!!! Haha if I tried this in our rice cooker I think my mum would have a cow! LOL! She’d say.. we have an oven you know! LOL!

Pretty EOTD! I miss seeing your captivating eyes!

8. Linda says:

I have never heard of baking a cake in a rice cooker! Oh my gosh that sounds so cool! I want to try it. lol The best part is that you know when it is done right? No burnt cake! lol Looks so good too. =]

9. adin says:

thanks for sharing…that looks pretty easy to make…

and about the liberty of london bags….I’m not sure if it’s still available in stores..maybe it depends on the location…the last time I went was on the day it went out and they only have like 2 bags on the store nearest me…I would check it if I get the chance…what bag did you like?….

hi there dearie! thank you for ur wonderful offer but i’d feel terrible if u went to any hassle for me. thank u for offering though, really means a lot to me!!!! but sounds like its probably sold out anyway haha i liked the yellow duffle or the blue shoulder tote bag

i didnt know a rice cooker can bake a cake! hahaha 🙂 it looks like a really thick pancake! what syrup did you put on top? i really learn a lot from your blog yumeko! keep ’em coming! xx ^_^

11. Violet says:

I’ve been reading your blog for quite a while but this is my first time commenting ^_^ That cake looks so yummy! I would never have thought of cooking a cake in a rice cooker but I guess it makes sense because there would be a much more even heat than an oven! Your eye make up looks really lovely in the photo too 😀

12. fwy says:

Thanks for sharing dear… At least I know I do not need to spend money on an oven to bake a cake.

13. Sheila says:

Yum yum yum~

I don’t know how to bake though, like at all. I just go out and buy cakes and hopefully it takes good slash hope that it is sorta healthy XD

14. nngstar says:

yume-chan… try it with red bean paste, heavy matcha scent with red bean paste is perfect match!
    I want that cooker too… hhuhu, but my dad say 365days i will only use it 1days and then neglect the cooker.. haha

wowww!! gotta try this during my holiday! 😀

THAT IS SO COOL!!! I totally want to try that this weekend hehehehehe. If I get a chance I’ll let you know how it goes.

And ooooh, can’t wait for your next post. The blue liner/shadow you’re wearing looks goooorgeous!

17. molé says:

this is such a good idea!!!! i HAVE to try this with my rice cooker XDD

18. I’m amazed that Japanese rice cookers have a “cake” function — absolute genius for those living in Tokyo where your’re lucky to have a fish grill at all in your apartment. Sugoyi, ne!!!

19. Vivien says:

Thanks for the recipe! =) Can’t wait to try this during the holidays.

20. Nancy says:

That’s so cool!! I haven’t even thought of this! I am going to email this to my friends so we can make cake 🙂 THANKS!

21. Eve says:

see if there’s anything u want. I can CP it for you if needed. some bags are still available

hey dearie, i whatsapp u but not sure if u got it
      anyway thank u so much for the offer but i dont want to trouble u or anyone. just offering was terribly kind of you. thank u so much!!!

22. giang says:

that’s genius! and looks so yummy!

23. Jennifer H says:

it looks quite easy!! ( i think i have the same dish as that in your picture :D)

24. sharon says:

Hi, thanks for sharing the recipe. Sounds interesting and I am thinking of trying it. Just wondering how much green powder should I put?

25. Stephanie says:

The piggy is so cute! :> I’ve never heard of a cake function in the rice cooker XD
    I like cooking too so I enjoy food/cooking related posts….I’m going to make banana nut bread.

P.S. You look super pretty (maybe one of these days we’ll see your FOTD?) ;>

banana nut…yummmy i looove banana cake/bread!!

p.s thank you XD but i dont think i dare to put my fotd out there. dont wanna scare anyone haha

26. k* says:

what a genius idea!
    yay for rice cooker functionality!

Mmmh is that maple syrup on the cake ?

28. Yinnie says:

oh wow. thats a modern rice cooker. =D Mine is still the old two settings one haha.
    Looks delicious though.

29. Blair says:

Baking a cake in a rice cooker? This is the first time I have heard of it! Thank you so much for the recipe and pictures, Yume-chan. They look delicious! 🙂

30. Blair says:

It* not they looks delicious hahaha

31. Becky says:

yummy~~ the final pic with all that sauce on it makes it look so good!
    is that sweetened condensed milk & honey I see?
    need cake now XD

32. Sofie says:

You and your damn food xD I am hungry again hehe!
    When I buy a ricecookr I am def trying this out! Looks so yummy! ^^

And you are so pretty! Love your FOTD!

33. Sara Mari says:

I wanna try this! My rice cooker here is not non-stick and I think it would get messed up, but I wanna try it in my friend’s rice cooker in Tokyo^^ Thanks for sharing the recipe!

34. Gigi says:

So easy, & looks amazing!

It looks delicious Yumeko!! Thanks for the recipe! I shall definitely try it out~! Although what kind of flour did you use? Japanese flour is different to in the UK I think (something like high gluten and low gluten types?) We just have 1 type.. T___T

No harm giving it a go I guess! Although my first quest is to try my hand at chocolate cream eclairs! =D That’s what me the boyfriend plan to do tomorrow! =D

all purpose flour…its just what i had around the house. XD
      in the original recipe from the book i read, it says like pancake flour..which i assume is all purpose flour hahaha

36. I’m gonna make it this weekend and post a pic! I don’t think that I can compete with your presentation!

37. lovekitzy says:

aww thanks for posting the recipe! when i find time, im definitely going to try this 🙂

38. Winnie says:

Haha… My cake turned out as hard as rock when it cooled down 🙁 so no self raising flour used?

oh no!! i used all-purpose flour which is what i had around the house and it seems to work out. hope u try it again?

39. rene says:

seems so fun and easy! I did came across this in a cookbook for rice cooker, but I just wasn’t tempted to try the other time. After seeing you tried it, I will try it too! When I have time and when my dad is not staring at me (he will, whenever I want to cook something unusual.)
    can I ask you something? where can I get Visee in HK?

40. JU says:

hi yumeko, just want to say that i love your blog! i have done cakes in the rice cooker before but i usually use cake mix but i don’t follow their instructions. for the liberty for target collection, they still have it in stores. if you want a bag just email me and i can run out get it for u since i have like 3 targets near me. =D

thanks for reading my blog! ooh so if u dont follow their instructions, how do u bake the cake? do share!!!

also thanks for being so kind and offering about the target collection but i truly cant bear to be a hassle to anyone
      also the 2 bags i am after [either the sunflower duffle or blue tote and their matching scarves] appear to be completely sold out anyway hahah
      i probably have to buy it on ebay in the end

• JU says:

yumeko, i just emailed you with the stuff they have. as for the cake recipe i do this…i use half a bag of cake mix (you can use any kind of cake mix) , 3 large eggs, roughly about 2- 3 tablespoons of oil (i usually just eyeball it) and roughly 1/3 cup of milk (once again i just eyeball this).

use hand mixer to beat the eggs until you see a lot of bubbles. then add in the cake mix and oil and blend until smooth. then add the milk and mix again until smooth. now here i do lightly grease up the rice cooker bowl before adding the mixture in. then i press cook several times until the chopstick i poke into the cake comes out clean.

i find this way works every time. i usually use marble cake mix but like i said you can use any kind and it still comes out good. =D

smart idea! I have used rice cooker my entire life and all I have tried is cooking rice and steam dumplings! this is such a great idea I may give this a try! 🙂

42. blue says:

So creative! Now all I need is for someone to help me find a substitute for a cake mixer 😛 I’m trying not to buy that until I actually own a place of my own 🙂

whisk by hand? tats what i did XD i am too lazy to take the cake mixer out for something so small

43. Nat says:

When I get my own place I AM SO getting a rice cooker like yours! I like those better than the traditional one that i have in my family home right now. That’s so interesting that you made a cake in it. Never thought that would be possible!

44. Hello! first time on here, and also I added you on twitter. This is so cool, I had no idea you could use a rice cooker to bake cakes. Will have to try this sometime. The drizzling looks very artistic 🙂

45. missmicchan says:

wahh…easy easy recipe! I have got to try that one out 🙂

46. Lemon Sorbet says:

Thank you for this really easy recipe. I have tried it on my ordinary rice cooker, and it has turned out to be quite yummy!!
    More recipes please!!

47. Katy says:

Ooh that sounds awesome and soo easy. Is the cake moist?

48. minoueel says:

looks great and easy too. can’t wait to try it plus the ‘cake’ function that was never used. :>

WOW looks great! i gotta try this xD

50. mayaari says:

i remember you tweeting about this when you made it – it looks really easy to make! lol i think my bf would be jealous of your rice cooker – he really wants to get a zojirushi model 🙂

does ur man like his rice? i saw this crazy cool rice cooker today from phillips and it cooks like EVERYTHING

51. I’m in need of a new rice cooker, but I did try something similar using me old one and must say it worked out pretty well. Two thumbs up to baking cakes in a r.cooker!!