DIY : How to Make Your Own Lotion Bars [Picture Tutorial]

Longtime readers of this blog will know i have really dry skin [not on my face but on both my arms and legs] and come winter..its a disaster zone. I have tried all kinds of body lotions/creams/gel from big and small brands but nothing has really worked.
So one late night, whilst surfing on etsy [what’s new] i saw a few stores selling lotion bars. The idea of carrying a bar of lotion rather than having to rub cream/lotion with my hands constantly seemed to be a no brainer! I knew i had to get myself some.

But was i going to wait 14 days in the christmas rush season to get my lotion bars mailed from USA? Nooo..let’s make some!
Photobucket
Yes its a tutorial!

These are the items i purchased!
lotionbar-1
I looked around online for a recipe [many sites, try googling] and here’s what i discovered
The basic lotion bar recipe requires equal parts of
1. An oil [olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, avocado oil are all possibilities]
2. Pure body butter [shea butter, cocoa butter, mango butter etc]
3. Beeswax [filtered, white, whatever] <– try to buy it in pellets, will be easier to melt. if not just cut or shave the one you have into little pieces.

Here’s what i chose to use
lotionbar-2
100ml of Coconut Oil
100g of Mango Butter*
100g of white pure filtered beeswax

*i chose to use mango butter as it is the only one without any scent. Cocoa Butter smells like chocolate which i dislike greatly. Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter are probably cheaper and easier to find though. You can use the same type of butter or a combination. Just as long as it makes up 1 part [ie same amount as oil and beeswax]

You will also need containers to pour your completed lotion solution.
lotionbar-4
I chose to buy deodeorant style containers and lipbalm tubes. You can also pour it into silicon molds etc.
Actually the main reason i decided to make my own is because i wanted to pour them in deodorant style containers.
I need to reapply very often but i almost never do as i cant get my hands greasy constantly [believe it or not, i do work for a living]

Add all ingredients into a metal and place above a pot of boiling water [double boiler]
lotionbar-8
Take care the water doesnt touch the metal bowl.

Melt on low heat till it all melts. If you are confident, you can do this in a microwave instead.
lotionbar-9
Around now, the husband is wondering if i am making something him a chocolatey treat. Sadly i was not hahahaha

Prep and disinfect your containers by washing your containers in boiling water and leave to dry.
lotionbar-10

Pour the melted solution into your containers
lotionbar-14
For the smaller containers, i used a pipette.

They harden almost immediately. [ok maybe 1 min?]
lotionbar-17

The recipe can be used as lip balm as well!
lotionbar-15
I really like these lip balm containers as they have a clip on the lid [you can clip to your bags or phone or keychains]

If you chose to use silicon molds, please remember to wrap them in cling wrap tightly after de-molding [when not in use]
lotionbar-20
These lovelies will melt in heat so please keep them out of direct sunlight and store in a cool place. [Esp for those of you who live in a hot climate]

The amount i got out of this batch
lotionbar-22
To use:
Just rub it on yourself.
Your body heat will melt them slightly and create a lovely smear of lotion/moisturizer on your skin.
If you used a deodorant mold like i did, you dont even have to get your hands greasy!

UPDATED:
I made this batch two months ago [before i went to Sapporo for a holiday where it was snowing daily]
And it has been amazing. My eczema is almost clearing up and i even used one of the heart shape pieces on my heel. Guess what? My super cracked heels have healed overnight. I’ve since gifted half my batch to many different friends and they have all reported amazing results so make more and gift them to your friends!

Any questions? Let me know!
Hope you try it out and keep yourself moisturized this winter :D!!
[widgets]

p.s
For those wondering, this is where i bought all the supplies i used ie the containers AND the ingredients. [For those visiting from pinterest or new to my blog, i am from/based in Japan]
lotionbar-12
However it was quite costly [prices are just high in Japan XD]
So i am certain you will be able to find something cheaper/better in your area [google is your friend!]
Good luck!

SEE MORE TUTORIALS HERE

This entry was posted in diy, makeup. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to DIY : How to Make Your Own Lotion Bars [Picture Tutorial]

Love this! How useful! Thanks for sharing :D

2. Lora says:

Ahh, I love DIY tutorials!! Thanks for posting this one so quickly Yumeko! :) I can’t wait till I have some time to try it out.

I have to admit, I chuckled at your mentioning of the fact that you do work for a living. Lol. You are quite the amazing blogger! Love all the posts you churn out. It’s admirable how hard you work on your blog! :) I have a hard time just getting a few posts out since it takes me quite some time to write one post. Love, love your blog :)!

i hope u find some time soon!

hahaha but its true! the kind of comments i get, i think ppl think i do nothing but sit on my behind at home all day hahahaha
      thank u sweetie!

3. Elle says:

These look amazing! It’s not nearly as scary or involved as I thought it might be :] they have customization potential too (different essential oils, scents, colors, etc) Great tutorial and hopefully I can make some soon.

4. Agnes says:

This post is so interesting!! I have dry skin too (currently trying Korres Body Milk). You seem to go through the trouble to create stuff – which is great! Wish I was as hardworking haha…

i have ezcema patches so the normal cream and bodymilk doesnt do much for me sadly T-T
      i am pretty desperate hence i was keen to make them [i hate waiting lol]

5. This is a great post. I have been waiting for this ever since I saw your mentioned these lotion bars. Surprisingly, they are actually quite easy to make. I’m going to try to make some myself.

Oh how cool!! I did this before, kind of, but I did just cocoa butter and beeswax so they were quite hard, and I put them in a heart shaped ice cube tray so the size was a little awkward. I’m going to have to try this again with the addition of an oil! (I actually have a bunch right now from mixing my own face oil.) That would make them so much softer, and I LOVE the deodorant bars! Those would be so useful!! I’d love to get a nice jasmine eo to scent them with too. :)

7. Kim says:

omg this is amazing. i saw no more cracked heels and my jaw dropped!

its really quite good but i hear australia is hitting the 40C at the moment so maybe dont make them yet, they will melt in that weather [in ur bag!] unless u fridge them?

8. kuri says:

awesome! I love the idea of deodorant bars! I will have to try this and use up the coconut oil I bought in Singapore :D

Wow, you are so patient in making these! I wish I do have the time and “talent” to do these too and these are perfect for gifts!

10. ani says:

your new blog layout looks very good! i feel so brightened suddenly (or maybe its just the light background reflecting off my face lol).

thanks for the tutorial! i must try this, i get a weird dry skin rash every summer on my stomach, hopefully this will help.

and happy new year!

11. ani says:

sorry for the second comment, i have a question. does this absorb into the skin or leave an oily film/sheen behind? i really don’t like that feeling of stickiness, i feel all the dirt in the world is clinging to me lol. please let me know :)

i would say there is a sheen left behind! its no different to applying cream or lotion in that sense.

12. tigerflowers says:

Never knew how simple it was to make!

WOOOOOOOWWWWW *bookmarks* thanks for this capy I will definitely try this after exams. I love the idea of being able to put into deodorant containers so no greasy hands!!

14. kiki says:

hmm it looks like it’s going to take me some time to gather the ingredients. they probably have them somewhere in my city but i wouldn’t know where. hahaa
    where did you get the small deodorant containers? i have never seen anything like it before!

15. Moni says:

That is really a delightful tutorial! And it looks so much less messy than doing your own creams :D

I have the driest and worst skin on my legs during winter, I shall try this and see how it goes!

16. Ting says:

Thanks a lot for the tutorial! I really want to make my own now and those containers look awesome! I wonder if they sell those anywhere else…

17. CinnaBunnie says:

This is awesome! I love DIY projects and this is so resourceful :) Thank you! If i can find the supplies I will definitely give this a try ^^

18. Catalyst says:

Thank you so much for this fantastic DIY, I’ve just bought the ingredients and am waiting eagerly for Mister Postman so I can get started! I have been enjoying your blog for years as a silent lurker (too shy to post) but I finally picked up the courage to say hi…HI!! I hope you are well and loving life, one of my great joys is logging onto reader and seeing a new post from you. I really make a difference in the blogosphere <3

aww ur comment is SUPER sweet. thank u so so much! thank you for reading my blog and leaving me this comment
      HELLOOOO TO YOU!!
      and i hope you report back on how your lotion bars turned out :D

19. kiki says:

i finally got the chance to make them! and woah was i surprised with… the cleaning. how did you manage to clean the bowl you used for melting the ingredients? or do you use a dish washer? because of the wax hardening i found it difficult to clean the bowl i used.(regular dish soap did nothing for me and my hands got oily from washing the bowl that i resulted with using laundry detergent and an old toothbrush) but yes! the lotions bars are fantastic! im glad i decided to buy the larger amounts of ingredients! now i can make some more when i run out.

oh oh! try using hot water! it melts all the stuff off it :D
      or use super cold water, it hardens into a disc so u just peel it off XD

20. Cindy says:

Great post, must try to make a batch soon!